0%
April 03, 2025

Luton airport expansion disastrous for climate and prosperity

  • Environmental campaigners say the government’s decision to permit London Luton airport’s expansion plan is ‘reckless’ and ‘gambles with our future’.
  • Transport Minister, Heidi Alexander, today announced that she has approved the airport’s expansion plan to increase capacity from 18 million passengers a year to 32 million by 2043.
  • Campaigners call out the government for jeopardising the UK’s net zero goals and prosperity while letting polluters take home even more profit.

 

3rd April 2025 –  Allowing the expansion of Luton airport is a threat to both climate and economic prosperity, campaigners say.

Today, the Transport Secretary, Heidi Alexander, announced she has approved the airport’s plans to build a new terminal and increase capacity from 18 million passengers a year to 32 million.

Hannah Lawrence, Stay Grounded spokesperson, said: “The government’s obsession with airport expansion is disastrous news for the climate and for economic prosperity. More airport expansion means more money flying out of the UK all while we suffer more pollution and disruption.”

“It’s especially frustrating to see the government making reckless decisions and gambling with our future when there are fair measures that are ready to implement. The government could deliver prosperity and a safe future free from climate breakdown by ending deadly airport expansions and implementing just measures such as a Frequent Flying Levy.”

Chris Haden, spokesperson for Stop Luton Airport Expansion and Friends of Wigmore Park, said: “We are disappointed to see that the Secretary of State for Transport has announced conditional approval for the Development Consent Order application from Luton Rising, to expand London Luton Airport from 19 million to 32 million passengers per annum, and construct a second terminal and a major access road. We are extremely pleased that the presentations made by ourselves, fellow opposition groups, and members of the public, to the Planning Inquiry helped them see through the veils of greenwashing that Luton Rising produced.

The Secretary of State’s decision to not back their refusal, though disappointing, will require further investigations and research, as will the conditions they have set to be fulfilled. We are also disappointed that the way Luton Rising has financed this application, has not been taken into account by The Secretary of State. Luton Rising will doubtless divert more badly needed finances from the town, into the costs of this application, which is already circa £100 million. We will continue to monitor the process to keep Luton Rising honest in meeting fully these conditions set by The Secretary of State, and will comment in due course on these events.”

The expansion will see the destruction of vital green space and will severely affect local air quality with the resulting rise in air pollution increasing the likelihood of long term health problems such as chronic respiratory diseases, lung cancer and heart disease.

The news comes after an outcry in February over the government’s decision to approve plans for a third runway at Heathrow Airport hindering the UK’s ability to meet its net zero targets.

Last year the Advertising Standards Authority banned adverts for London Luton Airport for misleading the public over the climate impacts of its proposed expansion. The ban came after complaints were made by counter-advertising campaign groups Adfree Cities and Badvertising, Stay Grounded, climate charity Possible, and a number of local airport expansion opposition groups.

PRESS CONTACT:

Hannah Lawrence, [email protected]

NOTES FOR EDITORS:

Continue Reading