How we work
Our network consists of different organisations, activist groups and individuals from around the world (with currently most members in Europe). It is coordinated by the Turtles group. Much work is being done voluntarily, while some is being paid, especially from the part-time campaigners. Decisions that concern the whole network are taken in a consensus-based way. Since 2017, we have been organizing network meetings once or twice a year. The in-person meetings (until now always in Europe) allow for online participation, since we find it important that no one flies to the meetings.
Read more in our network structure and protocols – the basis for our common work.
Being a member group or organisation means
- You are part of our Stay Grounded e-mail list and provide an active spokesperson. We expect list members to share all significant information and report back to their groups.
- You’re invited to participate in our consensus-based decision making and in our activities (network meetings, actions, etc.)
- You help us spread our position paper, make it visible on your website and try your best to work towards the vision presented in the paper
- Your organisation’s logo is included in our “members” section of the website, as well as a link to your website. If you as a local anti-aviation group don’t have a website but would like to have a site for your group, we offer you a subpage.
- You support the network with a financial contribution (Purpose: Stay Grounded Member Contribution) – depending on your financial situation this might be 20-100€ or more a year, or nothing – to help cover overhead costs, such as network meetings and coordination.
- You actively encourage further organisations/groups etc. to join
- You receive a yearly report that informs members of the network’s activities
Participation by Individuals
Individuals who support our work and our position paper may sign up for our email lists and participate in network meetings. We assume that everyone is giving their ideas/input/analysis as individuals unless they specifically state that they are representing the opinion of their member group.
- stay-grounded[at]lists.riseup.net a low volume, moderated email list for decisions that concern the whole network, invitations to network meetings, etc. At least one spokesperson from each member group is on this lists to make sure all members can take part in the network’s decisions.
- sg-discussion[at]lists.riseup.net: an optional, unmoderated email-list, you may unsubscribe at any time, with space for exchange of more information which all spokespersons can but don’t have to follow
- stay-grounded-france[at]riseup.net an email list for French communication between members and individuals supporting Stay Grounded in France
- stay-grounded-spain[at]riseup.net an email list for Spanish communication between members and individuals supporting Stay Grounded in Spain
Our online library
***** We are currently working on a transition from dropbox to another cloud service. Updates will follow soon *****
We have a shared online platform for documents, lessons learned and scientific papers related to tackling aviation growth and alternatives to aviation. If you would like to be added to the library, please contact info[at]stay-grounded.
Our social media accounts
If you have information that you would like us to share on our accounts, send our accounts a direct message or write to: manuel[at]stay-grounded.org
- are a coordination group, consisting of at least 4 spokespeople from our members or individual Stay Grounded members. They are “elected” (through asking for objections) at each network meeting.
- have an online call about once a month and a separate coordinating email list.
- function as advisory board for the Campaigners, maintain oversight over network processes and
- guarantee that the process continues, that decisions are implemented and have an overview of what needs to be done.
- take minor decisions if they are necessary for a process to start/continue, in case it would be annoying for the whole network to be consulted.
- Members are invited to give feedback to the Turtles and Campaigners. Only through constructive critique and support can the network can grow stronger.
- Calum Harvey-Scholes, Reclaim the Power, UK
- Larry Edwards, individual, US
- Lucy Gilliam, individual, BE
- Rohit Parakh, individual, IN
- Steve, Rising Tide, UK
Regional Stay Grounded Groups
In some countries, several Stay Grounded members got/may get connected, form their own email lists or even undertake joint activities that are backed by the Position Paper as Regional Stay Grounded Groups. To guarantee the information flow and their integration into the network activities all Regional Groups:
- are encouraged to designate one representative as member of the Turtles in a democratic process.
- alternatively (in case of lacking capacity for Turtles participation) they must designate a delegate (and if wished an alternate) to participate in Turtles+ calls (= call with Turtles + regional Delegates, taking place every two months), to exchange information about what is happening in the active regions, and in the Stay Grounded network. The delegate is responsible to feed relevant information from the Turtles+ Calls back to the Regional Network and vice versa.
The current campaigners of Stay Grounded are Mira Kapfinger and Magdalena Heuwieser who founded the network, as well as Anne Kretzschmar, Michaela Leitner and Manuel Grebenjak. They are employed in Vienna at the small NGO Periskop. They are bound to the decisions taken by the network members, and are part of the Turtles team.
Press and Fundraising
Project Partner Coordination – Let’s Stay Grounded!
Campaigner – Let’s Stay Grounded!
Read more about the history of our Network here